Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Truly a Blessing

So I go to Krogers to pick up some items so it appears that I have food in my house, and aren't compelled to frequent the local fast food establishment. Not to mention I needed to purchase some lysol wipes for Perry's 2nd grade teacher. That's the post it he chose. She's in for a treat I bought the super jumbo size, she should be good until Christmas. As I am placing my groceries into my trunk I pick up a bag of 2 very nice looking ribeye steaks, funny I don't recall spending 17 dollars on 2 ginormous steaks, and hamburgers. Hummm...check receipt, nope didn't pay for them either although they are in my possession. Place them in the trunk and start to close it. Devil on one shoulder, angel on the other. "It's their fault, they gave them to you.", "But I didn't pay for them, someone must have left them, they might be their dinner tonight.", "Maybe they are giving away steaks and hamburgers with each order this evening." Glance over at my oblivious, impressionable child, whose humming some song from Osmosis Jones. And think, yeah I should take these back in. So I do, tell the inappreciative women behind the service deck, "unless you are giving away steaks tonight these ain't mine." She says huh...Someone's gonna be mad, I said well I didn't pay for them so here ya go, waiting for a thanks for being honest, or something......silence.....Hummmm, should have kept the damn things dang. Yeah my conscience would have got the best of me. Speaking of the impressionable child. First day of school went rather smooth. He began the dressing process on his own, just as I had hoped. He woke before the chirping bird alarm, and was naked by the time it went off and I got up. Reminder #1 to get dressed occurred just before I showered. After shower, he had his shorts on. Reminder #2, I get dressed. He now has on some socks. Reminder #3, I go make oatmeal, he's got on his t-shirt, just before I lost it at reminder #4 I grabbed his button up shirt, and shoes and finished the process that should never take 30 minutes! We'll get this process down soon I promise. Fortunately for him he's so dang sweet and cute, you can't hurt him, you just wanna squeeze him and kiss him! Last night after meet the teacher night he was saying his prayers. And the end he blesses folks. So I said "who do you wanna bless?" he thinks....."who are you thinking about for tomorrow?" Thinking he'll say his second grade teacher, nope, he says "I think I'd like to bless the little girl in my class in the wheel chair, what's her name Mommy?".....Elizabeth....."God bless Elizabeth, and God bless Mrs. Emenaker (his first grade teacher), I'm sure gonna miss her." He eventually got around to blessing his 2nd grade teacher too, but he had to cover who was on his mind first. He's definitely a heart toucher. He loves to wave at random folks, it's almost as if he knows who needs a cute wave from a friendly little boy. When we were getting in our car tonight, our car was next to a women's who was sitting in her car waiting apparently for someone. She had that "a lot on her mind" look. Perry crawls over from his side of the back seat to the other to wave to her and smile. You could tell she was touched. And as we are pooling away he looks up smiles and waves again and yells bye! It's indescibable what he does to people but it's very simple, and touching, not just some goofy kid trying to get a reaction he genuinely wants to touch folks. We are truly blessed!

No comments: