Monday, August 22, 2005

Start Your Prayer engines!



Ok the first of probably many intervention meetings happens tomorrow. This is when a parent of a child goes to a meeting at the school that will involve, last years teacher, this years teacher, a reading teacher, an assistant principle, school psychologist, speech teacher (I think she's there for communication reasons, not speech), and this year we are throwing in a special ed teacher. And for added kicks I am taking a very reluctant husband. Granted he'll be there for looks alone, because I promise you, he will contribute NOTHING to the conversation. Unless Mr. Martin (school principle) shows up he'll be the only man in the room. Perry gets his reluctentness to try new things from you guessed it dear old dad. I envision him as a child being drug to new things not wanting to budge much like Mr. Perry. But I informed him he must attend this first meeting to see what I go through and to appreciate my parenting skills. Nuff said. He'll survive.

By the end of last year these meeting got increasingly intimidating. I had not yet learned to speak up for myself, like "hey that acronym you just used, what the hell does it mean??" I can't say that I have learned now, but I feel more confident in my right as a parent, I've done a little reading. Doesn't change the fact that the school people talk school talk, and Hello....I barely know Life Insurance talk after 12 years, now I gotta learn a whole new lingo! So everyone get into prayer mode, pray for no more additional mind altering medications, a nice little IEP in place with some help from the special ed department. (notice the acronym, I'm practicing!) and a happy school loving kid. If all this happens, nobody will get hurt! Get praying people!


Oh and heres the kid you'll be praying for! Cute photo I cropped out of a group shot, cause he looked cute. He's sitting quitely and being quiet. Very odd moment. But I love the flushed cheeks and the sweaty hair. We went to the Loveland Castle with the Cub Scouts. Most of the boys stayed the night, we did not. Wasn't down with sleeping outside a haunted castle by myself in a tent. Ron was away for the weekend. It was fun to hang out and explore till late at night. Very cool!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I think it's perfectly fair after the introductions for your to ask them to please refrain from using educational jargon in this first meeting--just like the military and all their crazy acronyms--b/c it will be beneficial if they use real words rather than letters.

And, if they just can't do it, make up some acronyms of your own and use them without explaining their meaning. That should do it.

Good luck!