Friday, July 14, 2006

God's Plan....

So when you are in the midst of a crisis, you don't necessarily consider, hey this right now may not be part of God's plan. You just keep thinking "I" have a plan and this is how it goes. Forgetting that God is the one clearly in control. Duh! Boy I was somewhat of a pathetic mess 2 days ago. I got my hopes up and had told myself I wouldn't do that. I heard back from Springer and she mentioned briefly that we'd be better off waiting until the following school year. So the doors not completely shut. I still haven't a clue why, as in details, I know he has a borderline IQ score, which makes it difficult to label him for sure. Funny when he started school I was reluctant to even go down that road of labels. But once you know what it is that is wrong with your kid and know how to treat it, it makes a world of difference. That doesn't mean I am always willing to inform folks upfront that theres something "different/special" about Perry, because they then form an opinion about him before they even meet him. Which I think is what happened with Springer partially, and it could have very well effected her approach to him. I'm sure he picked up on that vibe. She had access to his entire file before even meeting him. There are people he warms up to immediately, and isn't shy around at all upon first meeting others, he is shy around. His basketball coach, was very warm to Perry and Perry responded positively to him immediately, because I think the coach could tell Perry was going to be some extra effort on his part, and he took that time to be one on one with him, this really helped Perry feel like a part of the team.
So now I get on my armor to take on the public school system. Prepare myself to be assertive and make sure he gets the help he needs. Possibly throw in a parent advocate for good measure. Keep prayin.

Why I do what I do....look at that silly grin....

1 comment:

Melinda said...

I'm so much the same way when it comes to being flexible with the plan...once I'm on the road, it's hard for me to look at the twists and turns in any other way except big detours...rather than alternate routes, etc.

I'm glad you're keeping us posted!