Monday, February 09, 2009

I am that Mom!

Being the mother of a child with special needs is rarely easy. Rewarding beyond anything you can imagine, but never easy. There have been times I've felt very alone, and as though no one could possibly relate to how I feel. Perry was diagnosed a little over 2 years ago with a language based learning disability. Dislexia falls in this catagory, but he doesn't have that. Some would just like to say he's autistic, but he's not that either. People like labels they understand, unfortunately when it comes to a kid with a learning disability there may not always be a label most would understand. Every kid is different, and kids with special needs they are all different.


This movie is the closest thing to explaining how Perry is that I could ever come close to. It's all about finding that one person, in this case it's a teacher. Who gets it! Who knows that all kids are different and a kid with special needs doesn't learn like every other kid. Oh if teachers could just tailor the curriculum to fit each individual, the world would be a better place. It's safe to say this movie is probably my most favorite movie ever! Click the poster above it'll take you to the website.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is always hard to pin point what type of learning disability or if there is more then one type as somebody I know has a Learning disability of several types intermixed. I haven't seen that movie but I hope I get a chance as I like to continue learning about various types of disabilities and the various degrees within. Makes for a better understanding about the individual.